Top Tourist Attractions in Lahaul & Spiti
Lahaul & Spiti Himachal
About Lahaul & Spiti
In the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, the Lahaul and Spiti district is made up of the two historically distinct districts of Lahaul and Spiti. Kyelang in Lahaul is the current administrative centre. Kardang was the capital of Lahaul and Dhankar was the capital of Spiti until the two districts were united. The area is known for its numerous high-altitude hiking paths as well as a rich Tibetan culture. Lahaul and Spiti is a popular tourist destination because of its numerous monasteries, flora and wildlife, and several high mountain passes and rivers.
Best Places to Visit in Lahaul & Spiti
- Trilokinath Temple
- Shashur Gompa
- Key Monastery
Best Time to Visit Lahaul & Spiti
Summer is the ideal season to explore this remote yet beautiful region of Himachal Pradesh, which runs from May to October. It is the only time of year when the roadways are free of ice. Lahaul & Spiti is hidden behind a heavy layer of snow throughout the winter season.
How to Reach Lahaul & Spiti
By road, you may reach Lahaul & Spiti district from two separate points: Sumdo (Kinnaur District) for admission into the Spiti valley, and Manali (Kullu District) for access into the Lahaul valley. Bhutar Airport (Kullu) is the closest airport, and Jogindernagar, Shimla, and Chandigarh are the closest train stations.
Blue Line (Route from Shimla to Kaza [Spiti Block]
- 412 Kms (About 20 Hours journey excluding one night halt).This road is almost all weather road upto Kaza.
Red Line (Route from Shimla to Keylong [Lahaul Block])
- 330 Kms (About 14 Hours journey). This route is through newly inaugurated Atal tunnel rohtang and will remains operational throughout the year.
- 375 Kms ( About 18 hours journey). This route get cutoff because of heavy snow fall from October to April(approx).
Green Line (Route from Keylong to Kaza i.e. Lahaul block to Spiti block) 185 Kms (About 6 Hours journey).
- This road closes during winters for more than 9 months due to closure of Kunzam Pass & heavy snowfall w.e.f. Oct/Nov-June/July.
- Kaza (via) Rohtang Pass – Batal – Kunzam Pass (200 km)