Top Tourist Attractions in Jammu
Jammu is the winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir, an Indian union territory. It is the capital and largest city in the union territory’s Jammu district. Jammu is well-known for its temples. In fact, it is renowned as the city of temples, and its temples, forts, woods, and mighty ziarats tend to overwhelm its palaces, forts, and forests. If Bahu Mata is Jammu’s presiding goddess, Peer Budhan Ali Shah’s dargah is the other shrine that protects Jammuites.
A vast number of shrines proliferate throughout Jammu City, attesting to the people’s profound religious attitude. Every year, a growing number of pilgrims from all across the country and even from overseas visit these sites. While Jammu is known as the City of Temples because of the numerous temples – both ancient and modern – that dot the landscape, the city also contains a number of shrines dedicated to other religions. Jammu City’s shrines make it a shining example of secularism and interfaith tolerance.
Best Places to Visit in Jammu
- Shri Raghunathji Temple
- Shri Ranbireshwar Temple
- Panchvaktar Temple
- Peer Kho Temple
- Rani Kalhuri Devi Temple
- Ram Talai Temple
- Radha Krishan Rukmani Temple
- Sardaran Temple
- Radhey- Shayam Temple( Billo mandir)
- Shri Satya Naryan Temple
- Shri Banwari Dass Temple
- Maha Lakshmi Temple
- Har-Ki-Temple Complex
- Bawey Wali Mata
- Maha Maya Temple
- Doodha Dhari Temple
- Aap Shambhu Temple
- Pir Mitha
- Peer Budhan Ali Shah Sahib
- Jama Masjid
- Peer Roshan Shah Wali
- Gurudwara Sunder Singh
- Kalgidhar Gurudwara, Rehari
- Gurudwara Sh.Guru Nanak Devji
- Sant Rocha Singh Ashram (Digana Ashram)
- Gurudwara Shri Guru Nanak Ji, Chand Nagar
- St. Paul’s Church
- St. Cathedral Garrison Church (Catholic)
- Akhnoor Fort
- Raghunath Temple Jammu
- Mubarak Mandi Palace
- Amar Mahal Jammu
- Bahu Fort Jammu
Jammu City is densely packed with shrines that attest to the people’s profound spiritual attitude. Every year, a rising number of pilgrims from all around the country and even from overseas visit these sanctuaries. While Jammu is known as the City of Temples because of the numerous temples – ancient and contemporary – that dot the landscape, the city also contains a good number of shrines of other religions. Jammu City’s shrines are a shining example of secularism and inter-religious peace.
Shri Raghunathji Temple
Raghunath Mandir is one of the most well-known temples in Jammu. It is Northern India’s largest temple complex. The temple, located in the middle of the city at Raghunath Bazar, was established in 1857 by Maharaja Ranbir Singh. On an elevated platform in the main temple are the idols of Lord Rama, Mata Sita, and Shri Lakshman ji. Three sides of the main temple’s interior walls are coated with gold sheets. There are several galleries with thousands of saligrams. The complex’s several additional temples are devoted to the Hindu Pantheon Gods and Goddesses. The Temple also has a Sanskrit Library, which includes rare Sanskrit texts.
Shri Ranbireshwar Temple
The temple bears the name of its creator, Maharaja Ranbir Singh. The temple’s construction began in 1863 A.D. and was finished in 1878 A.D. It is North India’s largest Shiva temple. The temple contains a massive sphatic shivlingam seven and a half feet tall, encircled by ten two-foot-high billaur (crystal) lingas and galleries containing 1,25,000 miniature Shivlings brought here from the Narmada River. The Temple is roughly a kilometre from Raghunath Bazaar on the Shalamar Road.
The temple was built by Raja Guje Singh of Jammu (1687-1703) and is one of the oldest in the state. It is associated with Shankaracharya’s visit in the ninth century A.D. The temple, which was built much later, is regarded sacred due to the self-created Shivalinga ( Svayambhuva Shiva linga). One of the city’s most respected Shiva Shrines, the Lord is worshipped here in the Swachananda form, which has five faces and represents the whole of Shiva in His most abstract form. As a result, it is known as Panchvaktar. Because coins have been imbedded in the floor slabs, the temple is also known as ‘Rupay wala mandir.’ There appear to have been inscriptions in Dogri script on the exterior of the surrounding walls as well. The Temple is located in a road off Residency Road, about a kilometre from Raghunath Bazar.
Peer Kho Temple
During the time of Raja Biram Dev of Jammu (1454 – 95), a notable mendicant of the Guru Gorakh Nath order, Jogi Guru Garib Nath, arrived to Jammu and lived at Peer Kho. In the native language, Kho means “cave.” He became known as Peer-i-Kho, and the cave was given that name over time. The cave is also known as the Jamwant Gufa (cave) since the Ramayana’s bear hero is said to have meditated here. Inside the cave, a Shivlinga has been erected. Devotees flock to the cave on Puranmashi, Amavasya, and Ekadashi, as well as during Shivratri. The temple is located 2 kilometres from Raghunath Bazar on the Circular Road.
Rani Kalhuri Devi Temple
Rani Shuba Devi of Kalhur state, wife of Maharaja Ranbir Singh, built the temple, which is today known as Rani Kalhuri Devi Temple, in 1889-90 AD. On one side of the temple, there are idols of Lord Rama and Sita, while on the other, there are Shiv Parvati Idols. The temple is around half a kilometre away from the Peer Kho temple on the Circular Road.
Ram Talai Temple
This temple, located on the Circular Road near the Rani Kalhuri Devi shrine, has representations of Lord Krishna and Radha. The temple is surrounded by a lovely pond and garden.
Radha Krishan Rukmani Temple
Lord Krishna, Radha, and Rukmani’s idols are housed at the temple. The temple is located on the Circular Road, approximately half a kilometre from the Ram Talai Temple in Jammu.
Panjthirthi is a neighbourhood on Jammu City’s northern outskirts. This is the city’s oldest neighbourhood, with a slew of over-a-century-old temples. People in Jammu regard five temples in close proximity as comparable to the Panch Tiraths, thus the term Panjtirthi.
This temple is located directly across the street from the Panjthirthi Radio Station. Sardar Attar Singh built it between 1856 and 1885 AD. Sardaran-Ka-Mandir is another name for it. The temple honours Lord Rama, Sita, and Lakshman Ji, as well as Lord Shiva.
Radhey- Shayam Temple( Billo mandir)
This is one of the city’s oldest temples, located in Panjthirthi. The temple was built by Bahi Charan Dass in 1839 AD. Beautiful Radha Ji and Lord Krishna statues may be found in the temple. It is also known as Billo Temple, after the priest who oversaw the temple for many years.
Shri Satya Naryan Temple
The temple lies on the second level of the temple complex, near the Billu temple. It holds Shri Satya Narayan Ji and Mata Lakshami Ji’s idols. A wonderful idol of Garud DevJi may be found in a little nearby temple. During the time of Maharaja Partap Singh Ji, the temple was constructed.
Shri Banwari Dass Temple
The temple is located outside Mubarak Mandi at the entrance of Chaugan Salathia. This ancient temple is notable for housing sculptures of Lord Rama, Mata Sita, Lakshman Ji, and his wife Urmilla.
Maha Lakshmi Temple
Pacca danga is home to the old Devi Maha Lakshmi Temple. Maharaja Ranbir Singh erected the shrine, which includes a lovely marble image of Maha Lakshmi. On the eve of Diwali, the temple is a hive of activity.
The temple complex is located on the banks of the Tawi River. The complex is made up of several temples and massive representations of Hindu deities.
Bawey Wali Mata
This is one of Jammu’s most prominent Shakti shrines. The temple is located within the Bahu Fort and was constructed shortly after Maharaja Gulab Singh’s coronation in 1822. It is also known as the Mahakali Temple, after the ruling deity of Jammu. Only the Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine is regarded more important. During the Navratras, a nine-day Navrata fair is conducted. A significant number of devotees pay their respects to Devi on Tuesdays and Sundays.
Maha Maya Temple
The Mahamaya Temple is located on the ridge opposite the Bahu Fort in the heart of the City Forest on the bye Pass route. The Mata’s manifestation in the shape of a pindi is housed in the temple. The temple offers a panoramic view of Jammu City and its gorgeous city woods. Maharaja Ranbir Singh of Jammu is supposed to have built it (1857-1885).
Doodha Dhari Temple
The temple is located in Jammu’s Shastri Nagar neighbourhood. The shrine was named after a priest who resided here and is said to have survived only on milk. As a result, the shrine is known as the Doodha Dhari temple.
Aap Shambhu Temple
The temple is located in Jammu’s Roopnagar neighbourhood in Sathrian. The temple contains a self-made stone Lingam. According to folklore, this entire area was formerly an abandoned jungle, and creamy cows and buffaloes used to come to Lingam after grazing and drop their full milk on Lingam. On the festival of Mahashivratri, there is a large influx of worshippers.
Pir Mitha’s mausoleum is located in the same-named neighbourhood in ancient Jammu. In the mid-fifteenth century A.D., a Sayid called Qutul Alam arrived to Jammu from Sawazwar and converted Hindus and Muslims. He lived during the reign of Raja Ajaib Dev, who ruled Jammu from 1423 to 1454 A.D. Because he loved sugar and sweets, most of his devotees offered him gifts of milk, sugar, and sugar cane. He was also known as Pir Mitha since he had a nice demeanour with everyone.
Peer Budhan Ali Shah Sahib
Peer Budan Ali Shah’s shrine, located at Satwari near the Jammu Airport, is also known as Peer Baba. Shri Guru Nanak Dev ji was a personal friend of Peer Budan Ali Shah. Peer sahib was born in Talwandi in the 15th century A.D. and lived as a bachelor and vegetarian, subsisting on milk, according to his devotees. Another shrine of the Peer is reported to exist in Punjab at Anandpur Sahib. Every Thursday, a significant number of people of various religions flock to the temple.
It is Jammu’s oldest and largest Masjid, located near Talab Khatikan, a kilometre from Raghunth Bazar. On the eve of Id-ul-Milad and on Fridays, there is a large influx of worshippers.
Peer Roshan Shah Wali
It is one of the most renowned Muslim Shrines in Jammu, located near Shri Raghunathji Temple in Gumat. It is Peer Roshan Shah Wali’s (makbara) tomb. He is thought to have arrived from Arabia in 648 samvat and settled near Gumat, which was then a forest. Following the sage’s death, a mausoleum was erected on the site where he lived. Since then, this tomb has used as a dwelling for Peers and devout men. Maharaja Ranbir Singh reconstructed the ancient construction, which was composed of stones and clay. Pir Roshan Shah was a tall man, hence he was also known as Pir Nau Gazia ( the nine foot tall Pir).
Gurudwara Sunder Singh
This is a historically significant Jammu Gurudwara located near Raghunath Bazar. S. Sunder Singh Khurana Ji, who lived in Amritsar at the time, erected the Gurudwara around 166 years ago. The interiors of the Gurdwara are stunning, with colourful floral designs gracing the walls.
Kalgidhar Gurudwara, Rehari
The Gurudwara is located on the National Highway near Rehari Chowk, about 2 kilometres from the Jammu bus terminus.
Gurudwara Sh.Guru Nanak Devji
The Panchyati Gurudwara is another name for it. It is located in the top bazar, near the Mubarak Mandi complex. Both Sikhs and Hindus worship it. This Gurudwara is distinguished by a 3ft tall white marble statue of Guru Nank Devji. The statue is claimed to have been placed by Maharja Partap Singh.
Sant Rocha Singh Ashram (Digana Ashram)
This Gurudwara is located near Digana on the national highway. The Gurudwara is a stunning structure. Orphan children are educated for free at the ashram. During Gurupurabs especially on Sundays, there is a heavy influx of worshippers.
Gurudwara Shri Guru Nanak Ji, Chand Nagar
This Gurudwara is located in Chand Nagar, near Jewel Chowk, in the centre of the city. On Gurupurabs, there is a large influx of worshippers.
St. Paul’s Church
The oldest church is St. Paul’s Church on Wazarat Road. Miss Isabella Plumb lay the foundation stone for this church on April 11, 1928.
St. Cathedral Garrison Church (Catholic)
St. Cathedral Garrison Church (Catholic), located on the national highway, was completed in 1986 and is dedicated to Rt. Rev. Dr. Hippolytus Kunnunkal, the then-Bishop of J&K. Other churches in Jammu include the Roman Catholic Church near BC Road, St. Peter’s Church in Christian Colony, and the Indian National Evangelical Church in Ustad Mohalla.
The Akhnoor fort, located east of town on the Chenab river’s bank, is of immense historical value and is crucial for reconstructing the past. Raja Alam Singh constructed the fort in 1802. Work of the fort began in 1762 at the request of Raja Tegh Singh and was finished in 1802 by his son Raja Alam Singh. This two-story fort, built on a rock overlooking the Chenab River, has been under the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) since 1982 and has been designated a national monument under the Monument Act of 1958. At each corner, there are two-story watchtowers. The fort is also accessible from the river. This fort, which is currently being excavated in stages, is situated on an old site portraying three periods of history.
Harappan red and grey ceramics, such as jars, beakers, and goblets, represents the first phase. The existence of early historic pottery marks the second phase, while Kushana items and a spectacular wall of rubble diaper masonry bordered on both sides by a 3-metre wide roadway characterise the third period.
Raghunath Temple Jammu
Raghunath Temple, located in Jammu city, is one of the greatest temple complexes in north India, with seven shrines, each with its own ‘Shikhara’ (shikhara, a Sanskrit term translating roughly to’mountain top,’ refers to the rising tower in Hindu temple construction in north India). The temple was erected between 1853 and 1860 by Maharaja Gulab Singh and his son Maharaj Ranbir Singh. Many gods are housed in the temple, but the principal deity is Lord Ram, a ‘avatar’ (incarnation) of Lord Vishnu. The temple came under public scrutiny and intensive scrutiny when, on November 24, 2002, as Hindus were practising puja in the complex, a ‘fidayeen’ (suicide strategy employed by militants) terrorist attack occurred, killing at least ten people and wounding numerous more.
Mubarak Mandi Palace
Mubarak Mandi is a palace in the Indian state of Jammu. The palace was the royal abode of the Dogra dynasty’s Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir. It served as their principal residence until 1925, when Maharaja Hari Singh relocated to the Hari Niwas Palace on Jammu’s northern outskirts. The palace is constructed in a style that is reminiscent of both Rajasthani and Mughal architecture. The Dogra Art Museum is housed in the Pink Hall and has tiny paintings of Kangra, Jammu, and Basholi Hill Schools. It also features Mughal emperor Shah Jahan’s gold-painted bow and arrow. The pink hall gets its name from the palace section’s pink painted walls.
Amar Mahal Jammu
This museum is situated in the Amar Mahal Palace, which was erected in 1862 in a distinctive French-chateau style. Four chambers of the palace, located on a hill overlooking the Tawi river, have been turned into art galleries and historic museums portraying Jammu’s royal past. The showpiece of this museum is Jammu’s golden throne, which weighs a remarkable 120 kilogrammes of pure gold. The art collection here is also fairly excellent, with works by M F Hussain and Laxman Pai, as well as other well-known Indian contemporary painters, on show. Another intriguing feature are the Pahari Paintings presented here, which portray stories from the Mahabharata and other legends, particularly those of Nal Damyanti. The museum also organises heritage tours throughout the site to provide deep insights into Jammu’s and adjacent towns’ histories.
Bahu Fort Jammu
Bahu Fort is located 5 kilometres from the city centre atop a rock face on the left side of the Tawi River. It is possibly the city’s oldest fort and building, having been built over 3,000 years ago by Raja Bahulochan. The Dogra kings recently renovated and expanded on the existing fort. There is a shrine inside devoted to the Hindu goddess Kali. Around the fort, a large terraced garden known as Bagh-e-Bahu has been created. The Bahu Temple is located within the Bahu Fort, also known as the Bave Wali Mata Mandir. The Bahu Fort is a stronghold that represents the opulence of the Dogra rulers and royal family that ruled the region. On Tuesdays and Sundays, which are considered auspicious, pilgrims come to the shrine.
The fort, along with the Bahu temple, has a commanding view of Jammu. The city forest surrounds the historic Maha Maya Temple overlooking the River Tawi on the bypass route, behind the Bahu fort. A little garden surrounded by acres of forests provides a popular tourist site. Mahamaya is the Dogras’ native divinity who died 14 centuries ago fighting foreign invaders. The current Bave Wali Mata mandir was constructed shortly after Maharaja Gulab Singh’s accession in 1822. It is also known as the Mahakali Temple, after the goddess Mahakali, who is thought to be second only to Mata Vaishno Devi in terms of magical potency. The Bahu Temple is devoted to Goddess Kali, the presiding deity of the Jammu and Kashmir area.
Best Time to Visit in Jammu
The greatest time to visit Jammu is from October to early April, when it is at its busiest.
How to Reach Jammu
Jammu is the winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir and is well linked by air, train, and road.
Jammu has an airport, and frequent flights connect the city to numerous other cities across the country. All airlines fly to Jammu on a daily basis, connecting various places.
Jammu Tawi is a major rail hub in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, with express and superfast trains connecting it to the country’s major cities. Jammu Tawi to Kanyakumari is India’s second-longest rail line, passing through some of the country’s most important cities.
The city is also accessible by road. Jammu district is served by National Highway 1A, which connects the remainder of the state, including the summer capital of Srinagar. Jammu has daily bus service to virtually every town in northern India.