Top Tourist Attractions in Hanumangarh
Hanumangarh is a city in the Indian state of Rajasthan, located about 400 kilometres from Delhi on the banks of the river Ghaggar, commonly known as the Ancient Sarasvati river. Hanumangarh District’s administrative seat is here. Because it was built by king Bhupat in 255 AD, the city was originally known as Bhatner. Hanumangarh District Tourist Attractions The region is home to some of Rajasthan’s most popular tourist sites due to its rich history. Bhatner Fort, Kalibangan (Pilibanga), Bhadrakali Mata Temple, Amarpura Thedi Village Pallu, Brahmani Temple, Gurudwara Shree, Kabootar Sahib, Nohar are some of the locations to visit.
Best Places to Visit in Hanumangarh
- Bhatner Fort
- Temple of Shri Gogaji
- Brahmani Mata Temple
- Kalibangan Archaeological Museum
- Kalibangan Archaeological Site
- Sila Mata – Sila Peer Temple
- Temple of Mata Bhadrakali
- Shri Kabootar Sahib Gurdwara
- Gurdwara of Shri Sukha Singh Mehtab Singh
Hanumangarh District Tourist Attractions Because of its rich history, the district is home to some of Rajasthan’s most popular tourist attractions. Bhatner Fort, Kalibangan (Pilibanga), Bhadrakali Mata Temple, Amarpura Thedi Village Pallu, Brahmani Temple, Gurudwara Shree, Kabootar Sahib, Nohar are some of the locations to visit.
The Bhatner Fort, also known as the Hanumangarh Fort, is located in the heart of Hanumangarh on the banks of the River Gaggar. It lies five kilometres from Hanumangarh Junction Railway Station and 230 kilometres north-east of Bikaner in Rajasthan’s far north.
It is thought to be one of the oldest Indian forts, dating back over 1700 years. Hanumangarh was previously known as Bhatner, and it was ruled by the Bhatti Rajputs. This formidable fort was built in 295 AD by Bhupat, son of Jailsamer’s King Bhatti. Timur, Ghaznavis, PrtihviRaj Chauhan, Akbar, Qutub-ud-din-Aybak, and Rathores have all seized this fort since then. The fort’s fortifications were referenced in Timur’s autobiography, “Tuzuk- e- Timuri.” In his book “Ain- I- Akbari,” Mughal Emperor Akbar detailed this fortification. This fort stood in the way of an invasion of India from Central Asia and served as a strong defence against enemy attacks. Finally, in 1805, the Bhattis were vanquished at Bhatner by Raja Surat Singh of Bikaner. Because this victory occurred on Tuesday, Lord Hanuman’s day, the monarch changed the name of Bhatner to Hanumangarh.
The Bhatner Fort is built on somewhat elevated ground and is surrounded by massive obstacles. It has multiple towering gates that surround the fort, as well as many large spherical bastions that stand at regular intervals. Rao Manohar Kachchawa created another big gate of this fort while obeying the directions of the Mughal monarch. The entire foundation has 52 kunds that were used to retain rainwater enough to last a year for a large battalion. There were attractively built minarets throughout the fort that were replaced when it was repaired. There are numerous temples devoted to Lord Shiva and Lord Hanuman within the fort. Inside the fort, there are three inscription-adorned sculptures and an ancient edifice known as “Jain Pasara.”
This fort is most famous for its invincibility, as despite numerous attempts by various clans, only a few were able to seize possession of it. After repeated annexations between the Kingdom of Bikaner and the Mughals, this fort was finally conquered by Surat Singh in 1805, after being captured by Maharaj Jait Singh of Bikaner in 1527. This fort also contains a tomb where Sher Khan is kept. Sher Khan was the Governor of the Fort and the nephew of Sultan Ghiyas-ud-din-Balban (1266 – 1290).
Temple of Shri Gogaji
The Shri Gogaji temple is located approximately 120 kilometres from the city of Hanumangarh and two kilometres from the Gogamedi railway station. This temple is ruled over by Gugga Jahar Peer, also known as Shri Gogaji.
This spiritual teacher was born around 900 years ago in the Rajput dynasty of Chauhans in Dadrewa village in the Churu Distict. Shri Gogaji was formerly a fighter with spiritual abilities. This temple is claimed to have been built around 950 years ago, and it was rebuilt in 1911 by Bikaner’s Maharaj Shri Ganga Singh. The temple’s building is built of stone, lime, black and white marble, and mortar and stands on a raised mound. This temple’s building is a beautiful combination of Muslim and Hindu cultures. Inside, a statue of Shri Gogaji with several carvings has been erected. Shri Gogaji is shown in this statue as a warrior riding a horse, with a lance and a snake around his neck. This temple, which is open every day, attracts people from various communities.
The main event in this temple is Gogameri, when pilgrims from all across the country come to worship Gogaji, also known as ‘the God of Snakes.’ This temple is remarkable in that it has priests for both Hindus and Muslims.
Temple of Dhuna Shri Gorakh Nathji
The Temple of Dhuna Shri Gorakh Nathji is situated about three kilometres from the railway station of Gogamedi. This temple is devoted to Lord Shiva along with his family, Goddess Kali, Shri Bhairuji and Shri Gorakh Nathji’s Dhuna. The Dhuna Temple Shri Gorakh Nathji is roughly three kilometres from Gogamedi’s railway station. This temple honours Lord Shiva, his family, Goddess Kali, Shri Bhairuji, and Shri Gorakh Nathji’s Dhuna. Shri Gorakh Nathji, a pupil of Matsyendra Nath, was a skilled yogi and one of the principal Siddhas of the Cult of the Naths’ nine Siddhas. The Dhuna, or fireplace, of Shri Gorkah Nath can be viewed at this sacred location.
This temple, made of bricks, lime, cement, and mortar, houses a standing image of Goddess Kali made of stone that is about three feet high. At around the same height, there is a black stone idol of Shri Bhairuji. All the statues of Shiva’s complete family are located beside this idol. Many samadhis of other yogis are also located in the same area. Guru Gorakh Nathji’s well-known Dhuna is perched atop a mound. This temple is open all year round.
Brahmani Mata Temple
The Brahmani Mata temple is located on the Hanumangarh-Kishangarh Mega Highway, approximately 100 kilometres from the city of Hanumangarh. It is situated in the Rawatsar Tehsil’s Pallu village. This shrine is built atop the ruins of the mediaeval Kalloor Fort. During the Navratras, a fair called the Mata Brahmani Mela is held here.
Kalibangan Archaeological Museum
Tourists interested in archaeology can go to Kalibangan, which is located in Tehsil Pilibanga, between the districts of Hanumangarh and Suratgarh. This village and its renowned Archaeological Museum are situated on the southern banks of the River Ghaggar, approximately five kilometres from the Pilibanga railway station. The museum was founded in 1983 to house and display the objects recovered from the Kalibangan archaeological site between 1961 and 1969. There are three galleries within this museum, one of which displays Pre-Harappan findings and the other two of which display Harappan artefacts.
Harappan bangles, seals, terracotta artefacts and figures, bricks, stone balls, grinders, and a collection of six cloth pottery from the Pre-Harappan era are on show in the galleries. Many images of the various naked constructions are also included here. except on Fridays)
Kalibangan Archaeological Site
The Kalibangan Archaeological Site is another fascinating location. This site is associated with the 5000-year-old Indus Valley Civilisation. It contains not only remnants from the Harappan settlements from 2500 BC to 1750 BC, but also artefacts from the Pre-Harappan settlements from 3500 BC to 2500 BC. The excavation of this site demonstrates that a well-established life style existed in India prior to the Harappan civilisation. Rajasthan was also determined to be an important centre for the ceramic industry. This region’s pottery includes designs that are similar to those of the Harappan civilisation.
Harappan seals, human skeletons, unknown inscriptions, stamps, copper bangles, beads, coins, toys, terracotta and shells, wheels, jewellery, utensils, toy carts, markets, vestiges of wells, bathrooms, tombs, a fort, and streets were discovered during excavations at Kalibangan. This was also the location of the discovery of the most primitive ploughed field, which dated back to 2800 BC. The earliest archaeologically recorded earthquake occurred at this site around 2600 BC, marking the end of the Pre-Harappan Civilisation.
Sila Mata – Sila Peer Temple
The ancient Sila Mata – Sila Peer Temple is a symbol of social harmony. This temple’s idol is worshipped by Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims and is located near Hanumangarh City’s bus terminal. The Muslim name for the stone is Sila Peer, and the Hindu name is Sila Mata. It is widely held that the water and milk offered to the deity, if administered, are capable of treating all skin problems. On Thursdays. A fair is being hosted here.
Temple of Mata Bhadrakali
The Mata Bhadrakaliji temple is located on the banks of the River Ghaggar, adjacent to Amarpura Thedi Village, seven kilometres from the city of Hanumangarh. Mata Bhadrakali, one of Goddess Durga’s many avatars, is the temple’s presiding deity. The Shakti Sect of Hinduism is represented by the temple. According to legend, the 6th monarch of Bikaner, Maharaja Ram Singh, built this temple to fulfil the wish of Mughal Emperor Akbar. This temple was afterwards rebuilt by Maharaja Dhri Ganga Singhji, the King of Bikaner. The temple is made of bricks, mortar, and lime. It has a round-domed loft, a verandah, a kitchen, a Sanctum Sanctorum, and a prayer hall. This temple’s main statue is made of red stone and stands 2.6 feet tall, adorned in embellishments.
Every day, the temple is open. However, it becomes congested during the 8th and 9th days of Chaitra due to the mela that is held here at that time.
Shri Kabootar Sahib Gurdwara
Shri Kabootar Sahib Gurdwara is roughly 80 kilometres away in the town of Nohar. This shrine was built to commemorate Guru Gobind Singh’s momentous visit in November 1706, when he was the Tenth Guru of the Sikhs and the creator of the Khalsa Panth. On his trip back from Sirsa, Guru Gobind Singh halted here and set up camp at a Chhip Talai to the southeast of the town. When Guruji visited this location, a swarm of pigeons, or ‘kabooter,’ as they are known in Punjabi, would congregate. This occurred because many individuals in the region used to feed these pigeons. During Guruji’s visit here, one of his Sikh disciples inadvertently stepped on a bird, hurting it. Because the inhabitants in this area practised nonviolence, they were outraged by this behaviour.
Guruji recruited a barber-surgeon to heal the pigeon in order to appease the locals. Following this, word spread that Guruji had used his spiritual talents to bring a dead pigeon back to life. The barber’s family then built a platform at the campsite on which this gurdwara was later built, circa 1730.
Gurdwara of Shri Sukha Singh Mehtab Singh
The historically significant Gurdwara of Shaheedan Da is located near Hanumangarh. When this gurdwara was built in the 18th century AD, it was named after two martyrs. According to history, as the Afghan Emperor, Nadir Shah, was returning to Persia after raiding and plundering various Indian cities in 1739, his forces were attacked by Sikhs, who recovered many young ladies and commodities seized by the forces.
Following his return to Persia, Nadir Shah appointed Zakhrya Khan as Governor of Lahore, vowing to kill the Sikhs and offering a reward to anyone who could produce the head of a Sikh. As a reward for bringing a waggon load of Sikh heads to Zakhrya Khan, a Massa Ranghar was made Chief of Amritsar. Massa Ranghar, who took over the Golden Sanctuary in Amritsar, forbade Sikhs from attending the institution and began drinking and bringing dancers to the devout temple. When this news reached the Sikhs of Bikaner, they were outraged. Then two Sikhs, Bhai Mehtab Singh and Bhai Sukha Singh, travelled to Amritsar to punish Massa Ranghar. The watchmen did not stop them from entering the Golden Temple because they were carrying bags full of coins.
They approached an inebriated Massa Ranghar, who was staring at the dancing females, and placed the coins-filled bags in front of him. As he bent to inspect the bundle, these two Sikhs chopped his head, stole it, and fled in an instant. These two Sikhs arrived at Hanumangarh with the head of Massa Ranghar and sat under a tree. They were afterwards kidnapped and tortured to death by the Mughals, who wanted them to convert to Islam. They turned down the offer and were martyred as a result. Thousands of devotees visit the Yadgari Jod Mela in this gurdwara on Amavasya every year. Dungarpur was established around 1335 A.D. There are temples built in commemoration of Dungaria’s widows by Rawal Veer Singh.
There is also a minor fortification on the hill where Maharawal Bijai Singh erected Bijaigarh, which overlooks a lake. Udai Bilas Place, named after Udai Singh II, is located east of town and is flanked by hills and a small lake. The town of Dungarpur has a lovely aspect. Other popular attractions in Dungarpur are Fateh Gadhi, Gap Sagar Lake, Badal Mahal, Bird Santuary Park, and Juna Mahal. These places are worth a visit for any tourist interested in learning about the rich heritage and culture of Dungarpur and Rajasthan.
Galiakot Somnath Shivalaya
Galiakot hamlet is located 58 kilometres south-east of Dungarpur on the banks of the Mahi river. Sagwara, the nearest town, is 19 kilometres away. Galiakot was named after a Bhil Chieftain who governed the area, according to legend. It was once the capital of both the Parmars and the former Dungarpur State. An historic fort’s remains can still be seen. The mausoleum of Syed Fakhruddin is responsible for the village’s fame. It is visited by hundreds of Dawoodi Bohara believers from all across the country during the annual’Urs’, which begins on the 27th of Muhharram, the first month of the Mohammedan year. Syed Fakhruddin was a devout Muslim. He was well-known for his knowledge and saintliness.
During his journey, he died and was buried in Galiakot village. Other areas of religious and historical significance in the district include Modhpur, which has Vijia Mata’s Temple, Poonjpur, Sagwara, which has ‘Yati-ji-Chatri,’ and Vasundhara, which has an ancient Vasundhara Devi Temple.
Gatrod Ji Temple Baroda
Baroda hamlet, once the capital of Vagad, is 41 kilometres by road from Dungarpur and is located in the Aspur tehsil. There are several exquisite temples in Aspur alone. Baroda hamlet is well-known for the remnants of mediaeval Rajput temples. In the beginning, the primary religions of this region were Saivism and Jainism. A lovely, old Shiva’s temple composed of white stones can be found beside the tank in Baroda village. A ‘kundli’ beside the temple bears an inscription from Samwat 1349, the reign of Maharaj Shri Veer Singh Dev.
An historic Jain temple may be found in the heart of this town. The main idol of the temple is Parshvanath, who was discovered in Samwat in 1904 by Bhattarak Devendra Suri.
Best Time to Visit Hanumangarh
The months of September through February are ideal for a visit to Hanumangarh.
How to Reach Hanumangarh
Traveling by rail from New Delhi to Hanumangarh is an option. The railway journey from New Delhi to Hanumangarh takes around 8 hours and 10 minutes. You may take a train from New Delhi to Hanumangarh and get off there.