Top Tourist Attractions in Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari is a seaside town on India’s southernmost tip in the state of Tamil Nadu. The village of Cape Comorin, which juts into the Laccadive Sea, was known as Cape Comorin during British control and is famous for seeing the dawn and sunset across the ocean. Bagavathi Amman Temple, devoted to Shiva’s consort, and Our Lady of Ransom Church, a hub of Indian Catholicism, make it a popular pilgrimage destination. Kanyakumari is India’s southernmost point and the confluence of three oceans: the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean. It is well-known for its magnificent dawn and sunset views across the seas, in addition to its significance as a Hindu pilgrimage site.
Best Places to Visit in Kanyakumari
- Vivekanandar rock memorial Kanniyakumari
- Mahatma Gandhi Mandap at Kanniyakumari
- Kamarajar ManiMandapam at Kanniyakumari
- Thiruparappu Water Falls Kanniyakumari
- Mathoor Hanging Bridge Kanniyakumari
- Chitharal Jain Rock Cut Temple Kanniyakumari
- Padmanabapuram Palace Kanniyakumari
- Arulmigu Kalyana Venkataramana Swamy Temple Kanniyakumari
- Bhagavathi Amman Temple- Kanniyakuamri
- Guganathaswamay Temple
- Athikesava Perumal Temple- Thiruvattar
- Arulmigu Kalyana Venkataramana Swamy Temple.
- Mandaikadu Bhagavathi Amman Temple
- Kanniyakumari Bhagavathiamman Temple
- Thanumalaiyan Temple – Sucindram
- Nagaraja Temple – Nagercoil
- Arulmigu Nagaraja Thirukkoil
- Arulmigu Kalyana Venkataramana Swamy Temple.
- Ayya Vaikundar Temple- Swamithope
- Our lady Ransom Church
- St. Xavier Church – Kottar
- Peer Mohammed Durha, Thuckalay
Vivekananda Mandapam and Thiruvalluvar Statue at Kanniyakumari
Another popular tourist destination in Kanniyakumari is the Vivekananda Rock Memorial. It is mainly a religious monument, as its name indicates, created by the Vivekananda Rock Memorial Committee to commemorate Swamy Vivekananda’s visit to “Shripada Parai” on the 24th, 25th, and 26th of December 1892 for deep meditation and enlightenment. The rock has been revered as a spiritual site since ancient times. In Puranic tradition, it is known as “Sripada Parai,” which means “the rock sanctified by the touch of Shripada’s foot.” On the rock, there is a protrusion that resembles a human fort and has a brownish hue, and it has long been worshipped as a symbol of Shripadam. According to mythology, Goddess Kanniyakumari performed Tapas on this rock.
Mahatma Gandhi Mandap at Kanniyakumari
The area has been connected with famous personalities such as Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi, whose names are memorialised here. They are stunning and contribute to the allure of this location. The lovely Gandhi Memorial, constructed in 1956, stands as a tribute to the Father of the Nation. An urn of Mahatma Gandhi was put here for the people to pay their respects before he was immersed. Mahatma Gandhi paid two visits to Kanniyakumari, in 1925 and 1937. In January 1937, Mahatma Gandhi paid a visit to Kanniyakumari. His ashes were submerged in Kanniyakumari’s sea waves in 1948. A lovely memorial has been built here to commemorate this incident. Its centre form is 79 feet high, indicating the Mahatma’s age at the moment the sun would descend on the peedam via a hole in the ceiling at midday on October 2nd.
In 1978, the memorial was moved to the administrative authority of the Public (Information and Public Relations) Department of the Government of Tamil Nadu from the Public Works Department. Hours of operation: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Entrance is free.
Kamarajar ManiMandapam at Kanniyakumari
Yet another memorial Late was raised and dedicated by Kamarajar Manimandapam. Sri. Kamarajar, independence warrior, former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, and President of the Indian National Congress. During the Congress rule, he was well known as Black Gandhi by the populace and as the “King Maker.” Everyone still refers to him as “Perunthalaivar.” He was instrumental in the governance of Tamil Nadu by promoting education for the underprivileged and initiating the Noon Meal Scheme for kids to encourage education. During his reign, Tamilnadu saw the construction of dams and industries. This memorial was built to honour his remains, which were held here for the public to pay their respects before being immersed in the sea. Hours of operation: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Entrance is free.
Thiruparappu Water Falls
Thiruparappu is around 55 kilometres from Kanniyakumari. The Kodayar descends at Tirparappu, and the water fall at this location is approximately 13 kilometres from the Pechiparai dam. The river bed is rough and approximately 300 feet long. The water falls from a height of over 50 feet and runs for approximately seven months of the year. The entire bed above the falls is one rocky mass that stretches upstream approximately a quarter of a kilometre to the famed Thirparappu weir, which was built to deliver water to the rice fields. On either side of the river, on the left bank between the water falls and the weir, there is a temple dedicated to Siva that is fortified. The District Administration has built a swimming pool for children here, which is highly popular with the kids.
Ticket Fare- Rs.5. Video and camera fees are Rs.75/- and Rs.5/- respectively.
Mathoor Hanging Bridge
The Mathoor Hanging Trough is Asia’s highest and longest trough bridge, at 115 feet tall and one kilometre long. This bridge, which was built in 1966, has become a tourist attraction, with hundreds of visitors each year. Mathoor is a hamlet in Aruvikkarai revenue village in Thiruvattar Panchayat Union.
The bridge was built at Mathoor across the river Parazhiyar for Rs. 12.90/- lakhs, and the trough canal (Pattanamkal canal) on the bridge transports water for irrigation from one side of a hill to the other. The trough is seven feet tall and seven feet six inches wide. The canal is supported by 28 massive pillars. This canal was built as a drought relief measure and for agricultural growth in the Vilavancode and Kalkulam Taluks thanks to the tireless efforts of late Thiru. K. Kamaraj, the previous Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. The District Administration has created a stairway from the top to the bottom of the bridge, as well as a children’s park and bathing platforms.
Chitharal Jain Rock Cut Temple
Chitharal is around 45 kilometres from Kanniyakumari. It is well-known for its rock-cut temple. The Chitharal Hillock features a cave with rock-cut sculptures of Thirthankaras and attendant deities carved inside and outside going back to the 9th century A.D. Jainism’s impact in this region was attributed to King Mahendra Varman I. In the 13th century A.D., it was turned into Bagavathy Temple. Cars and vans can drive up to the bottom of the slope. To get to the temple, one must walk for around ten minutes. The Central Archeological Survey of India has conserved the Jain pictures. Vellankode panchayat is in charge of it.
Padmanabhapuram, one of the four municipalities in the district, is located 55 kilometres south of Trivandrum, about two kilometres east of Thuckalay, and 35 kilometres north of Kanniyakumari on the Trivandrum-Cape Comerin route. This settlement is encircled by a fort covering an area of 187 acres. Travancore’s ancient capital might have been built before AD 1601. The seven-acre palace is located in the heart of the Padmanabhapuram Fort, surrounded by hills, dales, and rivers. The palace, which is located in Kanniyakumari District, is overseen by a Curator from the Kerala Government’s Archaeological Department.
Temples / Churches / Masjids
Arulmigu Kalyana Venkataramana Swamy Temple.
Kanniyakumari Bhagavathiamman Temple
Bhagavathi Amman Temple- Kanniyakuamri
Kanniyakumari gets its name from the presiding goddess of the area, Goddess Kanniyakumari Amman. The most notable temple, Kumari Amman, is devoted to the virgin goddess Parvathi. The shrine for Goddess Kanniyakumari near the ocean’s edge has a mythology that once Banusura, the demon king, gained dominance over the Devas and meted out severe punishment to them. The Devas staged a Yagna, begging with the gods to destroy the evils. Goddess Parasakthi appeared to Kumari as a virgin girl and began her penance. Meanwhile, Lord Shiva fell in love with her, and plans for their marriage were made at midnight on a specific day. Because Banusura could only be destroyed by a virgin, the Devine sage Narada saw that their marriage would ruin their prospects of annihilating him.
When Lord Shiva was on his approach to Kanniyakumari from Suchindrum, Sage Narada took the appearance of a cock and crowed falsely proclaiming the break of dawn at Valukkamparai, 5 kilometres south of Suchindrum. Lord Shiva returned dejected, believing that the auspicious time for the marriage had passed. After that, the Goddess chose to stay a virgin as well. When Banusura tried to gain the Goddess by force, she murdered him with her Chakragudha and alleviated the Devas’ anguish. She then began her penance and continued to be virgin. Timings are from 4.30 a.m. to 12.15 p.m. and from 4.30 p.m. to 8.15 p.m. Car Festival (May / June) and Navaratri (Nine Days) Festival (September / October) are annual festivals.
Arulmigu Kalyana Venkataramana Swamy Temple.
Guganathaswamy Temple is a 1000-year-old temple that was reportedly erected by King Raja Raja Chola. The Chola architectural style is clearly seen in this temple. It is close to the railway station. This temple contains 16 inscriptions from the years 1038 A.D., 1044 A.D., and 1045 A.D. Visiting hours are from 6 a.m. to 11.15 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8.45 p.m.
Athikesava Perumal Temple- Thiruvattar
Thiruvattar is roughly 60 kilometres from Kanniyakumari and is home to a beautiful temple. The temple walls also include artwork that are worth seeing. Thiruvattar,Sri Adikesava Perumal Temple, 108 Vaishnava temples is one of 13 mountain country in Tirupati Secondary Tirupati and vilankukiratutiruvanantapuram Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple, Thiruvattar AdiKesavaPerumal temple appearance, structure orematiyanavaitiruvattar Sri atikecavap temple
Nammazlvar ippunniyat “vattaru wealthy as” the highest court of the temple mankalacanam ceytullarkalsri first appears in the ninth century. AdiKesava amaintullataip amaintullataip amaintullataip a Nammazlvar sung about “the mountain peak matattaravanai vattarran.” Due to Lord Brahmma’s blunder in conducting a yajna, two demons – Kesan and Kesi – sprang from the flames. They wreaked havoc on Sages and Devas. They sought protection from Lord Vishnu. Lord murdered Kesan and then used Kesi as a cushion in his bed. To revenge the Lord, the demon’s wife enlisted the assistance of Rivers Ganga and Tambiraparani. They came in droves to wash the Lord’s feet. Mother Earth effortlessly elevated the ground level on where Perumal was lying. Both rivers circled the Lord, prayed to Him, and then proceeded to flow like two garlands. Nammalvar’s Mangalasasanam song mentions this occurrence.
Perumal is known as Kesava Perumal because he slew the monster Kesan. Kesi used his 12 hands to try to get away from Lord. Lord defeated his escape attempt by holding 12 Rudrakshas in his hand. Through the Rudrakshas that surrounded Tiruvattaru, 12 Shiva temples arose. During Shivrathri, worshippers rush to all 12 Siva temples, concluding their prayers with Lord Shiva at the feet of Adikesava Perumal. Even now, the practise persists.
Mandaikadu Bhagavathi Amman Temple
Sri Bhagavathi Amman Temple is a significant temple in Mandaikadu, located near the Nagercoil – Colachel State Highway. This temple was constructed in the Kerala tradition in a very modest way. The holy trees for this temple are the Bo Tree and the Neem. Pujas are conducted four times every day. Mandaikadu Bhagavathi Amman Temple is referred to as a Sabarimala for Women. Bhagavathi amman is a 15-foot-tall anthill. As males travel to Sabarimala, women approach the temple with Irumudi (a bundle holding puja materials for the Goddess).
The Most Reverend Sri Sankaracharya was here with his Kerala disciples, conducting Srichakra Puja. The Chakra did not return after the puja as usual one day. The Acharya remained here and reached Samadhi. The anthill began to sprout on the site where the Srichakra formerly stood. Children who were playing on this side and collided with the anthill were hurt. When Kerala’s monarch, Marthanda Varma, learned of these occurrences, he erected a temple and began performing pujas on a regular basis. The temple gradually gained importance among believers. Today, a well-known temple blesses the believers.
Kanniyakumari Bhagavathiamman Temple
Suchindrum is a tiny hamlet located around 12 kilometres from Kanniyakumari and seven kilometres from Nagercoil. This holy spot is situated on the banks of the Pazhayar River, surrounded by rich fields and coconut groves, and the temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan. Siva, Vishnu, and Brahma are all represented by the term. Sthanu signifies Siva, Mal Vishnu, and Ayan Brahma, i.e. Siva, Vishnu, and Brahma in “One Form.” Suchindrum is the location where Indra acquired ‘Suchi,’ or cleansing. According to the Sthalapurana, Indra was cursed by sage Gowthama for secretly casting passionate eyes at Ahalya, Gowthama’s wife. Not able to bear the humiliation brought on by the curse. Indra had no choice except to seek speedy atonement. He arrived to ‘Gnana Aranya,’ as it was then known, and worshipped Lord Shiva. Indra’s curse was lifted when Lord Shiva granted him his desire that the location where he reached purity be renamed ‘Suchindrum’.
Another legend has it that the Trimurthys, or Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, were persuaded by their celestial consorts to come down to earth to test the virginity of Anusuya, wife of sage Athri at Gnana Aranya. Before they could be restored to their former splendour, the Gods had to suffer a surse from the Rishipatni and go through the cleansing procedure. Thanumalaya Swamy temple is claimed to be India’s sole shrine devoted to the Trinity. The current temple construction was created by a variety of people over the course of several centuries. It is a complex of many exquisite structures built at different eras, and it is one of the outstanding examples and a repository of the Dravidian style of art and architecture.
Visiting Hours : From 04.00 AM to 11.45 AM and 05.00 P.M to 08.00 PM
Arulmigu Nagaraja Thirukkoil
Arulmigu Nagaraja Thirukkoil is one of Suseendram’s related and unassociated temples. Nagercoil is 19 kilometres distant from Kanyakumari. The name “Nagercoil” is claimed to be derived from the Nagaraja (five-headed) Temple. Everyone’s heart is drawn to the greenish region, the arduous coconut tree, and the floral gardens that surround this temple. The Naga Flower in this garden is thought to be adored as a symbol of Nagaraja’s image. It is also claimed that the snakes in this area guard the Temple and the garden. This is verified in the World’s Religious Encyclopedia that despite the presence of numerous snakes, no one has perished as a result of snake bites, and this is the temple’s expertise.
Ayya Vaikundar Temple- Swamithope
Swamithoppu is a tiny hamlet located around 11 kilometres from Kanyakumari. Swamithoppu, formerly known as Poovandanthoppu, is located in the hamlet of Thamarakkulam in the district of Kanyakumari. This is where Ayya Vaikundar was born. Ayya Vaikundar returned to Thiruchenthur after attaining enlightenment on March 3, 1833, at the age of 24, and began his societal reformation. This is considered the first pathi. The heirs of Ayya Vaikundar lead the daily Pani Vidai and oversee the proceedings.
Our lady Ransom Church – Kanniyakumari
Kanyakumari Parish is practically identical to the municipal village of Kanyakumari. According to archaeological evidence, St. Thomas, a follower of Jesus Christ, visited this land. St. Francis Xavier arrived in 1542. Kanyakumari became a distinct parish in 1862. The church was built in 1914. The Church is 153 feet long, 53 feet wide, and 153 feet tall. All of these represent the Holy Rosary breads. Nearly 13,000 individuals are grouped into 86 Basic Christian Communities throughout the parish.
St. Xavier Church – Kottar
St.Xavier, an exceptional and committed priest, toured the coastal districts of Tamil Nadu from Goa, and he never missed the chance to visit Kottar in Kanniyakumari district, which was a famous commercial city at the time. During his stay at Kottar, he went to the little temple to honour St. Mary. Among the Kottar residents, he was commonly known as “Valiya Pandaram.” While in Kottar, he stopped a Padagas invasion of the Venad people, which pleased the king, who became closer to the Priest. In acknowledgment of Xavier’s efforts, the monarch granted him land on which to build a Catholic church in Kottar. In 1544, there was already a church in the same location where the St. Xavier’s church is presently.
According to church records, the church was erected in the year 1600 A.D. The Church was expanded in 1865, and the shrine to Our Lady was also refurbished and arched over. The church was elevated to the status of Cathedral in 1930. In 1942, to commemorate the fourth centennial of St.arrival Xavier’s in India, a majestic tower to the saint, a grotto to Our Blessed Mother, and a tiny shrine to St.Ignatius, who sent him to India, were built on the Cathedral grounds. The church was expanded in 1955, and the chapel of Our Lady was included into the larger structure. The Church of St. Xavier has a long history of being a location of miracles. The yearly event takes place throughout the month of November and lasts for ten days.
Peer Mohammed Durha, Thuckalay
At Thuckalay, there is a durha named ‘Peer Mohamed Oliyullah Durha’ after the famous philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was born in Tenkasi, Tirunelveli District. He arrived to Thuckalay after spending some time in spiritual pursuits at Peermedu, Kerala State. He was a well-known Tamil poet who produced numerous works on philosophy. He had a close contact with the Chera dynasty’s kings. He is credited for laying the foundation stone for the Padmanabhapuram Granite Fort. Every year on the full moon day in the month of Rajap, the famous philosopher poet’s anniversary is commemorated on a huge scale. People from Kerala and Tamil Nadu go to the celebrations in vast numbers, regardless of caste, creed, or religion.
Best Time to Visit in Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari is best visited between the months of October and March.
How to Reach Kanyakumari
Thiruvananthapuram Airport, 110 kilometres from Kanniyakumari and 90 kilometres from Nagercoil, the district headquarters, is the nearest international / national airport. Tuticorin, 105 kilometres from Kanniyakumari, has a tiny airport with limited flights.
From Kanniyakumari and Nagercoil Junction, a daily train connects all cities. As a result, it serves as an important transit point in southern India.
At Kanniyakumari, National Highway NH7 (North-South) and State Highways intersect.
Nagercoil has two main bus stations: Vadachery and Anna Busstand. Mofussal Bus Terminus & Town Bus Stand – Local Routes Kanniyakumari All major cities are well linked.