Top Tourist Attractions in Karaikal
Karaikal is a town in Puducherry, India’s Union Territory. In 1674, Karaikal became a French colony, and it remained under French administration until 1954, when it, along with Chandernagore, Mahé, Yanaon, and Pondichéry, was integrated into the Republic of India.
At Thirunallar, Karaikal is notable for the sole temple dedicated to Lord Saneeswara.
Best Places to Visit in Karaikal
- Amirthakadeswarar Temple, Thirukkadaiyur
- Sri Mehanadhar Temple, Thirumeeyachur
- Maha Saraswathy Temple
- Karaikal Ammaiyar Temple
- Lord Sri Dharbaraneswara Swamy Temple
- Mastan Syed Dawood dargah
- lady Angels church
Best Time to Visit in Karaikal
How to Reach Karaikal
AIR : The nearest airport is Tiruchirapalli, 168 Kms. away
RAIL : Karaikal is connected by rail to
- Chennai (Train No.16175),
- Thanjaur (Train No.76812),
- Tiruchirapalli (Train No.56714, 06852),
- Velankanni(Train No.76818),
- Ernakulam (Train No.16188),
- Bangalore(Train No.56514) and
- Mumbai (Sunday Only- Train No.11017).
ROAD: Karaikal is connected directly from
- Thirunallar – 5 kms. (Towards West)
- Kumbakonam – 64 kms. (Towards West)
- Thanjavur – 103 kms., (Towards West)
- Tiruchirappalli-168 kms., (Towards West)
- Coimbatore (Towards West)
- Erode (Towards West)
- Thiruvarur-40 kms.,(Towards Southwest)
- Chidambaram- 64 kms., (Towards North on ECR)
- Mayiladuthurai-40 kms.(Towards Northwest)
- Puducherry-135 kms., (Towards North on ECR)
- Chennai-294 kms., (Towards North on ECR
- Nagore-10 kms., (Towards South on ECR)
- Nagappattinam-17 kms.(Towards South on ECR)
- Velankanni-26 kms., (Towards South on ECR)
The aforementioned routes are served by the Puducherry Road Transport Corporation (PRTC), Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC), Tamil Nadu State Express Transport Corporation (TN-SETC), and various private buses.
Local transportation is also accessible in the form of taxis, auto rickshaws, minibuses, and town buses.
For leisure journeys to Chennai, Bangalore, and Trivandrum, VOLVO, Ultra Delux from PRTC and TNSTC, and omni buses are also available.